High School Program
Climbing Higher. Enjoying the Journey.
Vanguard’s high school students follow one of two tracks:
Track 1– Preparing students for a four year university future.
Students take a traditional 4-year selection of the fundamental high school courses. This is comprised of:
• 4 English
• 4 Math (Algebra, Geometry, Algebra II, and one additional)
• 4 Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and 1 other)
• 4 Social Studies (American History, Government/Economics, World History, and World Geography)
• 2 credits of a foreign language
Note: For students identified with a math learning difference, a modified course path can be provided while remaining on the Track 1. For students with other learning different diagnoses, accommodations are made within the courses listed above.
Track 2 – Entrepreneurial Program: Preparing students for community college and business futures.
Students take a course selection comprised of:
• 4 English
• 4 Math
• At least 2 Science (Health can count toward 1 of these)
• At least 2 Social Studies
• 4 Vocational
Electives (applicable to both Track 1 and 2)
Track 2 also provides:
- Reading for information and pleasure
- Personal and business financial responsibility and management
- Oral communication skills (conversational skills, phone, interview skills)
- Written communication (writing resumes, job applications, letters, memos and reports)
- Social Skills appropriate for the work place
- Time management, organizational and prioritization skills
- Problem solving
- Hygiene and grooming
COLLEGE PREP TRACK
- Acquisition of 21st Century Skills
- Critical thinking Problem solving, analysis and logic
- Self-direction, personal responsibility, personal ethics
- Creativity, innovation, and integration of ideas, initiative
- Collaboration, social skills, maturity, leadership, teamwork, strong communication skills
- Information literacy to solve problems and acquire knowledge
- The ability to understand another point of view
- Focus and regulation required for learning
- Organizational, time management and study skills
Classes are small and use varied teaching and discovery methods which include:
- Courses aligned with Texas Education Agency core curriculum standards
- Project-based learning
- Research papers
- Collaborative learning
- Courses enriched or modified to student needs
- Socratic methods
- Subject appropriate videos/movies with discussion
- Student presentation and discussion
- Dual credit courses at the community college
Each track follows Vanguard’s approach of Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) to ensure that our students are well equipped for continued education or the workforce.
SEL involves the processes through which students and adults acquire and effectively apply the knowledge, attitudes, and skills necessary to understand and manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions (Durlak, Weissberg, Dymnicki, Taylor, & Schellinger, 2011). Generally, SEL is defined as including five core competencies, which are:
These are the skills that allow students to regulate their emotions, make friends, resolve conflicts respectfully, avoid engaging in risky behaviors, and make ethical and safe choices.
To learn more about college and career readiness through the use of Social and Emotional Learning, CLICK HERE.
Vanguard Preparatory School
4240 Sigma Road Dallas, TX 75244 | phone: 972.404.1616 | fax: 972.404.1641
Accredited By Southern Association of Colleges and Schools - AdvancED | TEA Approved
Content Copyright 2020 - Vanguard Preparatory School | All Rights Reserved